Monday, August 22, 2005

Back In The Swing Of Things...

As my cat pushes her water bowl across the floor with her nose, trying to get attention, I find myself surprisingly distracted from doing work. I've fallen off the face of the Earth, it feels like, in the last couple weeks...or in other words, started law school.

I feel like I may fall off the face of the Earth over the next couple months too, so its pretty easy to assure myself that the summer is going to seem more and more appealing in retrospect - not that it wasn't appealing at the time, and I know its cliche and all, but you really don't know what you have till it's gone. All that spare time, without thinking that I should be doing something productive, would be kind of awesome right now. Even by throwing up this post right now it seems like I'm wasting time. Oh well, I've been doing a good job keeping up, and even ahead sometimes.

I've also found that I'll need to haul 2 backpacks to school, just to be able to take everything, as well as use a stupid locker that's smaller than a microwave. Awesome. Not to mention that UM seems like a school that will nickle and dime me for everything it can - and I wondered how it had money to throw us a million dollar dinner at the Biltmore. What was I thinking.

A funny thing I've noticed about class so far is this: you can do just about anything and fit in. I could wear just about anything under the sun around campus and find at least 5 other people wearing something similar. I guess that's just what you get with a big university, and it's been a lot different than Hope, that's for sure.

Things other than school have been going well too. Joe got the job he's been looking for since he came here, so I'm happy about that. His place is coming around too, we've been doing a good job supporting each other with new things in life, and it makes it a lot more enjoyable to be experiencing it with someone else. It seems as though everything is falling into place - now I just need to get through school alive, and I think that with the situation at hand, it's more than possible.

Anyways, I found out the hard way that if you get to campus after 10 then it's nearly impossible to get a parking spot anywhere on campus. Yes I have a parking pass, but when issued, it's issued as a "hunting license." Classy, I thought, but it's true.

It's kind of a wierd feeling, that everyone I meet from here on at school, is a competition to me. I feel as though it's a bad set-up for making legitimate friends, but seeing as how I can't change it, I'll deal with it. The school mandates that only a certain percentage of people can get A's, and B's, and so forth. So no matter how well I actually do, it's completely based on my comparison to others in my program. Kinda scary, but I guess you just have to watch out for some people, who only want your friendship to use it against you, or so I have been warned...

Anyways, there's a short update of how things have been going. Thank you, zero-balance on my credit card, and thank you 1000 dollar combined charge for books and parking pass...I'll take revenge on that eventually. Maybe have a bonfire with my books one night and make those s'mores I've been craving for awhile now. No, that would be silly - again, what was I thinking?

There's a creepy delay on my computer right now, and this is taking much too long to type...


"Back to school, back to school,
To prove to dad that I'm not a fool,
I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight,
I hope I don't get in a fight....."
-Billy Madison....ha-ha-ha:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well at least you can rest easily knowing that you put the best song lyrics in your blogs....

O'Doyle Rules

-Michael